Paychecks: How do I get my last one?
December 11, 2012
A: If you did not receive your last paycheck, there are several steps you can take to try to resolve the issue:
- Check with your employer: The first step is to contact your employer and ask them about the missing paycheck. It is possible that there was a mistake, and they can quickly resolve the issue.
- Review your employment contract: Review your employment contract or the employee handbook to see if there are any provisions that address when and how employees are paid. It is possible that there was a delay in processing your paycheck or that there was an error in the payment process.
- Contact your state labor department: If your employer is not cooperating, you can contact your state labor department. They can help you file a complaint and investigate the issue to ensure that you receive your missing paycheck.
- File a wage claim: In some states, you can file a wage claim with the labor department or a small claims court. This can help you recover any unpaid wages, including your missing paycheck.
- Seek legal assistance: If all else fails, you may want to consult with an employment lawyer who can advise you on your legal options and help you pursue your missing paycheck.
In any case, it’s important to keep track of your pay stubs and other employment-related documents as evidence in case you need to pursue legal action.
Employers are not required by federal law to give former employees their final paycheck immediately. Some states, however, may require immediate payment. If the regular payday for the last pay period an employee worked has passed and the employee has not been paid, contact the Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division or the state labor department. DOL also has mechanisms in place for the recovery of back wages.
I was working for Huntington Home Care and the job was laid off because the patients daughter wasnt happy with the agencys services.I have been trying to get my check for almost a month and a half and they only respond to my texts messages but they hardly call me back.I have been waiting since 02/14/14 for my check I wanted to know how can I get help to get my check and receive help job wise and money wise.
Please call your state department of labor office and report the problem