I received a 1099 stating that I received unemployment benefits in 2021

Q) I received a 1099 stating that I received unemployment benefits in 2021. I am employed and did not receive benefits. How do we get this corrected so I can file my taxes without paying taxes on this false income?

A) If you received a 1099-G form reporting unemployment benefits that you did not receive, you’ll need to take steps to have the information corrected. Here’s what you can do:

  1. Contact the issuing agency: Contact the agency that issued the 1099-G form, which is typically your state’s unemployment office. Explain the mistake and ask them to issue a corrected form.
  2. Provide documentation: If possible, provide documentation to the agency that shows you did not receive unemployment benefits in 2021. This could include pay stubs, W-2 forms, or other evidence of employment.
  3. File your taxes: If you have already filed your taxes and included the false information from the 1099-G form, you should file an amended return to correct the mistake.
  4. Keep records: Keep a copy of all correspondence and documentation related to the error in case you need it in the future.

It’s important to take action quickly to resolve the issue, as failing to report the correct amount of income on your tax return can result in penalties and interest.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *