A) Yes, military service members who spent time on active duty from 1940 through 2001 may have extra Social Security wage credits added to their earnings records. These credits generally result in higher monthly payments for qualifying veterans. The amount of extra credit varies according to how long the veteran served and in what time period. If you were in the active military service from 1957 through 1967, special extra earnings are added to your earnings record when you apply for Social Security benefits.

Your military service can earn Social Security credits, which are used to determine eligibility for Social Security retirement, disability, and survivor benefits. Military service members earn credits for Social Security based on their active duty service income, which is subject to Social Security taxes. Additionally, veterans who were honorably discharged can receive additional credits for their military service under certain circumstances, such as serving during certain wartime periods.

It is important to note that Social Security retirement benefits are calculated based on a worker’s highest 35 years of earnings, including any income earned during military service. Therefore, military service can have a positive impact on the amount of Social Security retirement benefits a person receives.

Military service members are allowed Social Security points for time in service. In fact, there are a number of ways that military service can help you qualify for Social Security benefits.

First, if you served in the military after 1956, you paid Social Security taxes on those earnings. Since 1988, inactive duty service in the armed forces reserves (such as weekend drills) has also been covered by Social Security.

Second, under certain circumstances, special extra earnings for periods of active duty from 1957 through 2001 can also be credited to your Social Security earnings record.

Third, if you were on active duty during a war or during a period of national emergency, you may be able to get credit for additional months of service.

Fourth, if you were discharged from the military because of a disability, you may be able to get credit for additional months of service.

Finally, if you are a surviving spouse or child of a military member who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related disability, you may be able to get Social Security benefits based on the military member’s service.

If you have any questions about how your military service may affect your Social Security benefits, you should contact the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *