Q) What if you were physically fit to work, but working in that particular field was not a good idea health-wise. Would you then be eligible for unemployment while you sought out more appropriate jobs?
A) In most cases, if you quit your job you are not eligible for unemployment. However, if you left for a good reason such as not being paid, an unsafe or unhealthy work environment, a change in your job responsibilities, discrimination, health and safety risks on the job, or some types of family emergencies you may qualify for unemployment benefits.
General Requirements for Unemployment Benefits
- Be totally or partially unemployed.
- Be unemployed through no fault of his/her own.
- Be physically able to work.
- Be available for work which means to be ready and willing to immediately accept work.
- Be actively looking for work.
- Meet eligibility requirements each week benefits are claimed.
- Be approved for training before training benefits can be paid.