I’m 74 years old. Am I eligible for unemployment?

Q) I’m wondering if I can collect unemployment. Here’s my situation: I’m 74 years old and worked as an adjunct professor at Indian River State College for six years. I was not given classes to teach last term because I “failed to fill out a form.” This was a form I’d never filled out before, so I’m assuming they wanted to drop me. Here’s the problem: IRSC does not take social security payments out of anyone’s salary; instead, they take money out and put it in a TIAA account. I have access to that money now that I no longer work for IRSC; however, if I use it to pay rent or my car note, I have to pay hefty taxes on it right there and then. So am I eligible to college unemployment? I’m engaged in a job search of course.

A) In most cases, eligibility for unemployment benefits depends on recent employment history, rather than age. However, eligibility criteria may vary depending on the country and state where you live.

In the United States, for example, eligibility for unemployment benefits is generally based on the number of hours worked and earnings in a specific period of time, as well as the reason for job separation. If you were involuntarily separated from your job due to no fault of your own (such as being laid off or furloughed), you may be eligible for unemployment benefits regardless of your age.

However, if you voluntarily retired from your job or left it for any other reason, you may not be eligible for unemployment benefits. Additionally, some states may have specific rules regarding unemployment benefits for older workers who are close to retirement age or receiving retirement benefits.

It’s best to check with your local unemployment office or visit their website to see the eligibility criteria for your specific situation.

The rules governing unemployment insurance benefits vary by state. However, to date no state places an age limit on receiving unemployment benefits benefits. A 74-year-old worker should be able to collect unemployment insurance benefits as long as he/she meets their state’s requirements. Your best bet is to apply for you unemployment benefits.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *