I have been working for two doctors, one died and the other laid me off. Do I file two unemployment cases?

Q) I have been working for two doctors in one office for 15 years. One doctor just passed away, so I lost that job and the other doctor decided to downgrade his office size and laid me off. The doctors each hired me as a part time worker to split my wages. Do I have to file two cases since each Doctor hired me as a part time worker? One final day was on the 30th and one wrote down the 31 is this a problem? How do I file?

A) I’m sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like you may be eligible for unemployment benefits, but the decision will ultimately be up to the unemployment office in your state.

In order to be eligible for unemployment benefits, you must meet certain requirements, such as:

  • You must have been employed in the state where you are filing for benefits.
  • You must have been laid off through no fault of your own.
  • You must be able to work and available for work.
  • You must be able to look for work.

In your case, it sounds like you were laid off due to the death of one of your employers and the downsizing of the other employer’s office. This could be considered a legitimate reason for unemployment benefits. However, it is important to note that the unemployment office will also consider your employers’ reasons for terminating your employment.

If you are concerned about your eligibility for unemployment benefits, I recommend that you contact your state’s unemployment office. They will be able to provide you with more information about the specific requirements in your state and help you file a claim.

Here are some additional things to consider:

  • You may need to provide proof of your employment from both employers.
  • You may need to provide proof of your medical restrictions from your doctor.
  • You may need to provide proof that you are actively seeking work.
  • You may need to file a weekly claim with your state’s unemployment office.

If you are approved for unemployment benefits, you will receive a weekly payment. The amount of your payment will depend on your earnings and the state you live in.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

To answer your specific questions:

  • You will need to file two separate claims, one for each employer.
  • The difference in your final days of employment should not be a problem. The unemployment office will be able to see that you were employed by both doctors and that your employment ended due to their deaths or downsizing.
  • You can file your claims online, by mail, or by phone. The instructions for filing a claim will be available on your state’s unemployment website.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *